PROSPERITY CATALYST IN HAITI
In Haiti, the World Bank estimates that 80% of the population lives in poverty, and according to the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights, 90% of women have experienced some type of violence.
We focus our work on offering women affected by gender-based violence and poverty with opportunities to thrive.
Fanm Limye (“Women Illuminated” in Haitian Creole) is Prosperity Catalyst’s for-profit enterprise hub in Port-au-Prince providing business and vocational training and market access to local and global markets. It began with four women making candles and now has expanded to support a constellation of 12 artisan businesses in Port-au-Prince and four beekeeping associations, involving 310 beekeepers in the West Department. Through their involvement with Fanm Limye, these businesses, all working along a common value chain, have been strengthened so that they can produce bulk and high end products for local and export markets. The ultimate end of this work is to sustainably improve the income of vulnerable Haitian women and households along the value chain.
LAUNCHING A CANDLE LINE
Fanm Limye is in the process of launching its first candle line developed specifically for US markets. It features three designs that are handcrafted by Haitian artisans and evoke the beauty of Haiti.
- Riverstone Tealights: Hand-carved and polished riverstones from Leogane with hand-poured Haitian beeswax tealights.
- Candle Wrap Series: Hand-hammered metal bands in gold paint, wrapped around recycled juice bottles, cut and repurposed for soy and beeswax blend candles.
- Luminaries: Hand-hammered metal sleeves in clear, gold, white, and blue finishes, fit over recycled rum bottles, cut an repurposed for soy and beeswax blend candles.
PROGRAM MODEL FOR THE FUTURE
The vision for Fanm Limye is designed to support the growth of women’s entrepreneurship throughout Haiti by creating shared training programs with our value chain partners, developing a stronger network of entrepreneurs, as well as empowering women to become grassroots sales agents.
Our training is focused on strengthening the technical and business skills of Fanm Limye’s value chain actors, including regional beekeepers, artisans, and recyclers. The training allows our partners to:
- Generate or fortify feasible business plans
- Improve quantity and quality of product inputs and new product designs
- Achieve market access to local and international buyers
This will result in Fanm Limye benefiting from hundreds of Haitian entrepreneurs in a variety of sectors by sourcing high quality products as inputs for the candle business.